Salient Features of Mumbai – Ahmedabad High Speed Rail Project
● HSR: Defined as Railway Systems Running Trains at Speeds in excess of 250 kmph. Presently, available in 15 countries
● India was a lone exception among major passenger railway systems not to have one
● Feasibility study undertaken by Japanese Consultants in December 2013 and report submitted in July 2015
● Recommendation of Empowered Committee for Innovative Collaborations (Chaired by Vice Chairman,NITI Aayog) and sanction by Cabinet in December, 2015.
● Planned completion by December 2023
● All-out efforts will be made to complete it by 15th August 2022
● Length 508 KMs (approx.), doubleline through two states, Maharashtra(156 KMs)and Gujarat(351 KMs) and UT of Dadra and Nagar Haveli (2 KMs).
● Longest tunnel 21 KM switch 7 KMs undersea (Thane Creek).
● 12 stations: Mumbai, Thane, Virar, Boisar, Vapi, Bilimora, Surat, Bharuch, Vadodara,Anand, Ahmedabad,Sabarmati. Underground station Mumbai, all others elevated.
● Maximum Design Speed- 350 kmph;
● Maximum Operating speed of 320 kmph.
● Journey Time:- 2.07hrs (limited stops), 2.58hrs (stopping at stations) vis a vis existing train travel time of 7-8 hours
Low Cost,High Speed
● Cost estimated at Rs.1,08,000 crore-entire corridor elevated for safety and land economy.
● 81% of the project cost by Japanese soft loan at 0.1%per annum with repayment period 50 years–including grace period of 15 years.
● Project funded by a loan on terms which tantamount to a grant.
● First time in India that an infrastructure project is being funded under such favourable terms
“Make in India”
● As per the agreement between Governments,the MAHAR Project has “Make in India” & “Transfer of technology” objectives.
● Under The Guidance Of Taskforce (DIPP and JETRO), accepted concept paper action is being taken as per guidelines
● Four Sub-groups with representatives from Indian industry, Japanese Industry, DIPP, NHSRCL, JETRO to identify potential items /subsystems / activities for make in India.
● Four Subgroups-Track,Civil,Rolling Stock,Electrical and S&T
Best tech available to India
● Will launch Indian Railways to be select club of countries having the state of the art technology.
● Shinkansen Technology Known for reliability and safety with proven track record of more than 50 years
● Punctuality record is less than a minute with zero fatality
● Reliable and comfortable services
● Project Comes with technical support and handholding of the Japanese–will ensure complete transfer of know-how to Indians for future projects
● High Speed Rail Training Institute at Vadodara to train 4,000 staff for operations and maintenance
Boost to Economy & Employment
● 20,000 construction jobs
● 4,000direct employment for operations and 20,000 indirect jobs too
● Boost To Urban And Industrial Development Along The corridor
● Ease Of Travel Between Cities And Enormous Capacity for commuting
● Capacity building for other high speed projects
Ground Breaking Ceremony
● Project Commencement function is Sabarmati on 14.09.2017 by Shri Narendra Modi, Prime Minister and H.E. Shinzo Abe, Prime Minister of Japan
● Will mark the commencement of the Project and laying of foundation stone for the High Speed training Institute at Vadodara
Project Status: Major progress made
● National High Speed Rail Corporation Limited, incorporated with equity by Ministry of Railways, Governments of Gujarat and Maharashtra in February 2016.
● General Consultant (GC) & Environment Consultant appointed.
● Schedule of Dimensions (SOD) and Manual of Standards and Specifications for track,tunnels,bridges,Signalling, Telecom and OCC finalised.
● Ground Survey completed using Aerial LiDAR Technique.
● Geotechnical Investigations substantially completed.
● Social Impact Assessment (SIA) consultant for Gujarat and Maharashtra appointed.
● Land acquisition- ROW requirement is under finalisation.
Source : PIB