Easy Access for Persons with Disabilities in Rail Compartments and Toilets
In order to provide additional facilities for Persons with Disabilities (PWDs), Indian Railways has developed designs of coaches having a compartment for PWDs as well as additional features in the lavatories. Some of these features are given below:
· Wider entrance door of 920 mm opening for easy movement of wheelchair.
· Wider, bi-fold inward opening lavatory door of 910 mm for easy movement of wheelchair.
· Size and cushioning of PWDs berth as per standard of Air-Conditioned 2-Tier berth with knee space of 900 mm for easy movement of wheelchair.
· Two way alarm communication system between lavatory and compartment.
· PWDs berth number engraved in Braille lipi also.
· Anti-slip flooring in lavatory area.
· Handrails in lavatory as well as in compartment area for wheelchair parking.
As on 31.03.2016, there were more than 3400 disabled friendly coaches in the coach holding of Indian Railways.
Instructions exist for provision of at least one toilet on ground floor at the station suitable for differently-abled persons. Instructions also exist for provision of one urinal and shower suitable for differently-abled persons in waiting room at the station.
Almost all the Mail Express trains (except special type of trains like Rajdhani, Shatabdi, Jan Shantabdi, AC Special, Duronto and Mail Express trains running with LHB (Linke Hofmann Busch) coaches), including Garib Rath trains, have been provided with a specially designed disabled friendly cabin in at least one disabled friendly coach for the benefit of differently-abled passengers.
This Press Release is based on the information given by the Minister of State for Railways Shri Rajen Gohain in a written reply to a question in Rajya Sabha on 24.03.2017 (Friday).